One of the leading historical societies in the country, the
Missouri Historical Society seeks a Managing Director of
Philanthropy and Engagement who will help guide the organization
into its next chapter. The Society, which operates the Missouri
History Museum, Soldiers’ Memorial Military Museum, and the Library
and Research Center, is at a pivotal moment. MHS is in the middle
of major efforts to transform its permanent galleries, to share
more of its collection than it ever has before, and to continue to
diversify its staff and the museum field.
We are looking for a dynamic leader who believes in the power of
local history to strengthen communities and who will lead our
fundraising efforts; who will significantly increase our annual
giving, which averages $2.5 to $3 million from more than 4,000
donors and members; who will guide the completion of a $50 million
capital campaign; who will manage a large team of professionals
responsible for fundraising, membership, tourism and guest
services; and who will partner with the president and the
leadership team to share our mission of engaging and inspiring
audiences by connecting them to their shared past and helping them
use that past to better plan the present and future.
The position is responsible for the planning, coordination and
oversight of development strategies to achieve the MHS goals for
fund raising and membership. This includes supervision of staff to
plan and implement on-going annual, major and planned giving; and
membership, as well as developing the strategies for implementation
of a capital or sustained giving campaign. It also includes
supervision of a team of front-line staff who welcome visitors and
coordinate rentals. In addition to development, membership, and
guest services, the position provides cross-departmental leadership
working collaboratively with other MHS Departments including
Communications, Community Outreach and Education, Exhibitions and
Research, and Finance to achieve the strategic goals set for the
MHS. This position provides direct supervision of the Director of
Membership and Annual Giving, two Charitable Giving Advisors,
Planned Giving Officer, Grant Writer, Campaign and Donor Relations
Manager, and a Director of Tourism and Visitor Experience. This
position also provides oversight of Blackbaud’s Altru database for
Development and Membership.
Responsibilities for Management and Donor Stewardship
- Plans and executes major fundraising campaigns and other
initiatives in conjunction with the President and the Board.
- Manages a portfolio of major donors in partnership with the
- Oversees the Department’s planning process including annual
goal setting and budget preparation.
- Ensures fundraising effectiveness by tracking, evaluating and
reporting on progress and identifying opportunities.
- Excellent working knowledge of Altru and its interface with
Financial Edge software.
- Ensures effective communication and marketing activities to
promote membership and support for the organization.
- Manages major donors and prospects through an ongoing process
of identification, qualifying, cultivation, solicitation and
stewardship of individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Establishes and maintains partnerships with donors and others
in the community through cultivation and stewardship
- Serves on board development committee and encourages, supports,
and guides board members in their fundraising and outreach
- Attends key MHS events to steward donor relationships.
- Manages department staff with creativity and compassion,
creates a productive culture of mutual respect, evaluates
individual performance and ensures professional development.
- Partners with the president on a vision focused on building a
stronger St. Louis by connecting people to their shared past and to
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree is required; preferred in related
field. Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: At least seven years of successful fund-raising and
progressive development experience, including major gifts and
special events, team leadership and management. Knowledge
of/experience in museum or non-profit best practices in
philanthropy a plus.
Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain key
relationships and raise funds through annual giving, membership,
major gifts, capital campaigns, planned giving, special events, and
- Proven track record of closing 7 and 8-figure gifts.
- Experience planning and implementing a multi-million dollar
- Demonstrated proficiency with all planned giving vehicles and a
broad and thorough knowledge of the principles of tax-encouraged
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and
application of appropriate stewardship means.
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Must be organized, results oriented, creative and able to
motivate others toward team goals with skill and positive
- Demonstrated success leading in a team environment.
- A track record as an effective communicator with excellent
writing and public speaking skills.
- Minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience
in development with planning, management, budgeting and major donor
Deadline to Apply: Position open until
Please upload cover letter and resume when
*External job boards: Please click here, to
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Services Provided On A